Monday 21 March 2011

Can Arsenal Do it?

It’s a hot, sunny Saturday afternoon and I’m waiting patiently(like most Saturdays) for the Arsenal team list and subsequently the Kick off of the match against West Brom. The first thing that catches my eye on seeing the list is the inclusion of Aaron Ramsey in the starting lineup and I’m excited that he is back and finally gets his chance in the first team. Next I see Denilson and I’m saddened, this guy is just not Arsenal standard. He is one player I have seen in a long time who hasn’t matured under the tutelage of the master nurturer (Wenger) and to think that he is Brazilian. Another name that catches my eye and ultimately annoys me is that of error prone, goal leaking and inconsistent Squillaci.
I’m seated waiting for the players to emerge from the tunnel and in a few minutes they are out. Kick off! Play starts and Arsenal cant seem to find their rhythm early on but who cares, its still under 5mins and there’s plenty of time to go. Soon the ball is in the Arsenal half and it’s a throwing to West brom and Sagna is trying to call out at one of his players and loses concentration for a second and the ball is thrown over his head and luckily Koscienly is there to help out but in the process gives away a needless corner. West brom set out to take the corner (I’m on the edge of my sit because I know how bad Arsenal are at defending corners and aerial balls). Corner is taken and **vroom** the ball is in the back of the net. Terrible defending from the Arsenal players. Where the heck were Squillaci nd Koscienly? Shouldn’t they be in the mix of things when a corner is floated in?(at least we see the likes of Vidic and Terry do it week in week out).
I stay glued to the TV hoping that things would change but Arsenal just couldn’t carve out any clear cut chance. At this point I’m switching stations monitoring the Man Utd/Bolton match(it’s still 0-0). I’m remaining loyal but Arsenal has refused to improve. Denilson is misplacing almost every pass, Squillaci is all over the place doing nothing, Ramsey doesn’t seem to fit just yet. With nothing happening for the Arsenal, I get up and go about doing other stuff (get my clothes ironed in preparation for the coming week) I’m ironing and my sister screams “oh no! its another goal” I immediately know it is for West Brom and at this point I am not concerned about the match anymore.
The game is on and I continue with my ironing. During my unconcerned moments Arsenal through Arshavin pull one back and somehow I’m drawn back to the match. Arsenal push for another and scrappily get it through Van Persie. At this point my belief is back and I’m hoping Arsenal can do it. The players are pushing for a third goal but no luck…… Final whistle!
I cant seem to get it, what could Arsene Wenger be telling the boys in training and in the locker room? Don’t they realize that they only have the EPL left to chase for a silverware? One cannot see urgency, desire and passion. They should be playing like wounded lions and not like a team that is relaxed and confident in itself. Arsenal has to let go of its disappointments in the other competitions and focus on the EPL.
Arsenal has the advantage as they are no longer in any other competition, this gives them extra rest days as against their main rivals (Man Utd) who are still in the FA Cup and UCL. I expect the Arsenal players to rally round and talk to themselves, they NEED to pick up a silverware this season. If Arsenal will pick up the EPL this season, they would have to change their mentality and style of play for the remaining games of the season. Style of play is simple SHOOT ON SIGHT!!! They need to put aside beautiful football and trying to work their way into the net, SHOOT! SHOOT! SHOOT! Should be what they should live by till the end of the season. We the fans need to see desire, hunger and passion in their play. The million dollar question is “Can Arsenal do it”?

No comments:

Post a Comment